Good day, people of Miami! It’s me again, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Miami Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Breezy with some sun. High: 80 Low: 76.
Did you know that one of the easiest ways to reach local customers and become the go-to business in town is to sponsor the Miami Daily? Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories today in Miami:
1. The first phase of a major project to bring affordable housing to Overtown called Culmer Place has won unanimous approval recommendation from Miami’s Urban Development Review Board. It is planned to be a seven-story building, with about 288,259 square feet of floor area and home to 239 new mixed-income rental apartments. (Miami Today)
2. Former Fort Lauderdale Police chief Larry Scirotto is giving his side of the story after he was accused of promoting officers based on their race and fired after just six months on the job. He indicated the candidates he chose to promote were all deserving. (WSVN)
3. Former Hialeah police sergeant Jesus Menocal Jr. took a plea deal to 3 misdemeanors of violating the civil rights of individuals with unreasonable searches and seizures, but will avoid major felony charges. For all 3 counts, if served consecutively, the guidelines say he could be facing up to 3 years in jail, a $300,000 fine, restitution, and supervised release. (NBC Miami)
4. The fight over the fate of a historic building in Miami Beach continues in Florida’s 11th Circuit court. Judge Michael Hanzman ruled on the case of The Deauville Beach Resort and said, “really not interested in having another Surfside case because the Beatles played the Deauville in 1964.” It is considered a big blow for preservationists. (WPLG Local 10)
5. A South Florida businessman in Miami’s Edgewater neighborhood said he was ambushed by an armed robber who stole his crypto wallet worth $1 million and a $400,000 watch. The businessman said he fears someone else could strike. An investigation is underway by police. (WSVN)
Today in Miami:
- Vizcaya Village Farmers Market at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens. (9:00 AM)
- 31st Annual Asian Culture Festival at Tropical Park. (9:00 AM)
- Sunday Zen Garden Yoga at Miami Beach Chamber Of Commerce. (10:30 AM)
- Bayfront Park Cleanup With Ultra Music Festival. (2:30 PM)
- Beethoven On The Beach: Miami Beach at North Beach Bandshell. (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- On Thursday, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews responded to a First Alarm house fire near NW 28 Place and 189 Street in Miami Gardens. There were no occupants inside the home at the time of the fire and there were no reported injuries. (Facebook)
- The 50th anniversary celebration of Miami-Dade Public Library System continues. Visit Main Library in downtown Miami and check out their latest exhibit featuring photos and cool memorabilia from MDPLS’ history. (Facebook)
- Want to become a lifeguard? Miami-Dade Parks is offering lifeguard classes. Register at one of their three lifeguard class locations (please call first to preregister). (Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Miami Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Thanks for following along and staying informed. I’ll see you soon!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.